Ten Reasons Why I Will ALWAYS
Be in Church on Sunday
-Pastor Garry D. Pate
(Part 1 of 2)
In the past fifty plus years, I’m sure I have not missed attending Sunday church services more than ten times total. I owe a debt to my parents who taught me by their example during my childhood and youth years. So, when I went off to college, even though I was sorting through faith issues, I always attended church. It had been thoroughly “drilled and grilled” into me.
Well, the years have gone by and no longer do I attend church simply because it was said to me that I should. I now have plenty of good reasons why I will always be (and want to be) in church on Sunday. Here are my random reasons with no special order considered.
1. The Lord is worthy of my adoration and praise. The very act of getting up and around to the morning worship service is an act of worship. God more than deserves whatever worship I can bring to Him!
2. I need to hear the nurture and guidance given from God’s Word during the sermon (even when I am preaching it!). The truth of God’s Word added to my storehouse of knowledge week after week serves me when life comes at me with a vengeance.
3. The church family needs my faithful example. My very attendance is a witness of my faith and the priority God has in my life.
4. In ALL seasons of life, attendance to the hour of worship establishes my priorities. While on vacation, seeking to be renewed spiritually is just as important than seeking to be renewed physically/emotionally. Attending church during vacation is a top priority.
In times of grief/disappointment, I especially need to hear the Word God has for me. Also, I need the support of Christian brothers and sisters who pray for me. I need (and want) to be in church when life is hard as much (maybe more) as at any time in life.
In time of unusual joy, I need to be reminded of my Source of blessing and humble myself before Him – and praise Him!
5. When I miss the worship hour, I miss the God ordained Sabbath cycle God gave for spiritual renewal. When I miss the spiritual renewal God has ordained, I become spiritually weak and vulnerable to Satan’s snares.
No doubt there are many other reasons to be in church every Sunday, but these are some of mine. I have resolved: if the body is able to “stand and take nourishment”, I WILL BE IN CHURCH!!!
Now, my children are training their children always to be in church, also. “ … as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Exodus 24:15) See you in church!